Laser Kiss Cutting
Laser kiss cutting is used to cut the top layer of a material without cutting through an attached material. Sticker labels are a good example of laser kiss cutting in action. In this process, the outline of the label can be cut without cutting the release or backing material. Typically, C02 lasers are used for kiss cutting applications. Laser kiss cutting can also be combined with perforating or “through cutting” on a single application.
- Virtually unlimited cutting path. The point can be moved in any direction (typically 2D) unlike other processes that use knives or saws.
- Can process flat sheets or material in roll form.
- Technology is well suited to fabricating high accuracy parts, especially from flexible materials. The laser beam exerts no force on the part and is focused on very small spot, allowing the part to keep its original shape from start to finish.
- Very hard or abrasive materials can be kiss cut.
- Sticky materials that would otherwise gum up a blade can be kiss cut.
- High speed cutting with accuracy, especially with Preco’s unique power control.
- Cost effective process with low operating and material costs.
- Digital process, no expensive dies required.
Preco, Inc. offers unique laser power control to regulate the desired level of energy, regardless of process speed. With our extensive knowledge and years of experience in laser kiss cutting, Preco can assist you in deciding if laser kiss cutting is a good fit for your application. Contact Preco to learn more about our laser kiss cutting systems, including the FlexPro® Series and Lightning Bolt™ Series.
- Arts & Crafts / Hobbies
- Flex circuits
- Complex shapes and geometry
- Well suited for part handling options. Parts can be nested and cut in groups while being left on a carrier for later singulation
- Plastic film
- Polycarbonates (typically thin)
- Adhesive tapes