Position Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Department: Laser Equipment Division Engineering
Reports to: Mechanical Engineer Manager
The Mechanical Design Engineer is a leader for design, development, and manufacturability of custom and standard systems for both internal and external customer systems.
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for designing and developing laser-based systems that meet the customer's expectations and are within budget. The Mechanical Design Engineer has a leadership role in working with, and supporting the Project Manager to coordinate teams that design, manufacture, test, install, and service engineered systems.
Specific tasks include:
- Evaluate a customer's application.
- Participate in team selling activities.
- Works closely with the Project Manager to communicate the status of the project
- Directs, coordinates and/or performs activities of the design team for total machine design from inception through design, assembly and testing.
- Performs design calculations, researches design alternatives and performs cost analysis to meet or exceed expected cost and performance targets.
- Manages the proper documentation of the design project including layouts, bill of materials, detail drawings, ECR’s, Project Closeout, etc.
- Works closely with manufacturing and purchasing to assure the design is manufacturable.
- Tests and analyzes prototype components.
- Provides technical assistance during debug and installation.
- Directs and coordinates the activities of design and drafting help as assigned.
- Special assignments as required.
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for keeping the mechanical design schedule, making every effort to ensure on-time delivery. In addition, the Mechanical Design Engineer is expected to stay abreast of all relevant process and technology developments within the company and in the appropriate industrial sectors.
- Four year mechanical engineering degree and a minimum of two years mechanical engineering experience.
- Minimum of ten years mechanical engineering experience in lieu of degree. Experience related to machine tool design is essential.
- Demonstrated experience with effective customer communications relating to business, technical, and logistic matters.
- Experience with leading multi-disciplinary teams whose members are provided from a matrix-type organization.
- Experience with all phases of developing industrial equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver equipment that meets the customer's expectations and is on time and within budget.
- Interested in working on custom or "one of" systems.
- Demonstrated technical or process experience in at least two of the following areas:
- material handling components such as dial tables, feeder bowls, pick-and-place mechanisms, and robots
- automated material processing systems such as welding or cutting systems that process individual metallic parts
- automated web and/or sheet converting systems for materials such as paper, plastic, fabric, and composite films
- process knowledge relating to processing metallic, composite, or non-metallic materials
- industrial controls and/or software experience that use personal computers (PC) or programmable logic controllers (PLC)
- tooling and fixture design for locating individual parts
- machine design experience
- knowledge of manufacturing process
• sheet metal design
• geometric tolerancing and drafting standard
- Knowledge of SolidWorks, Word, and Excel
- Extensive direct and phone communications with customers, component suppliers, company personnel, and contract personnel.
- Travel to customer facilities for sales, installation, and service related activities.
- Extended hours of sitting and viewing a computer screen.
- Extended hours of standing or working in a shop environment.
All Preco, Inc. employees are empowered to stop production and notify their supervisor/manager if an unsafe act or product quality concern is occurring. Also, each member of the Preco – Hudson team is responsible for identifying continuous improvement opportunities and participating in problem solving teams as necessary.
Send resume to: email@example.com
This position is located in Somerset, WI