Position Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Department: LED Engineering
Reports to: Mechanical Engineering Manager
The Mechanical Design Engineer is a leader for design, development, and manufacturability of custom and standard systems for both internal and external customer systems.
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for designing and developing automated industrial laser-based systems that meet the customer's expectations and are within budget. The Mechanical Design Engineer has a leadership role in working with and supporting the Project Manager to coordinate teams that design, manufacture, test, install, and service engineered systems.
Specific tasks include:
- Evaluate a customer's application.
- Participate in team selling activities.
- Works closely with the Project Manager to communicate the status of the project
- Directs, coordinates and/or performs activities of the design team for total machine design from inception through design, assembly and testing.
- Performs design calculations, researches design alternatives and performs cost analysis to meet or exceed expected cost and performance targets.
- Manages the proper documentation of the design project including layouts, bill of materials, detail drawings, ECR’s, Project Closeout, etc.
- Works closely with manufacturing and purchasing to assure the design is manufacturable.
- Tests and analyzes prototype components.
- Provides technical assistance during debug and installation.
- Directs and coordinates the activities of design and drafting help as assigned.
- Special assignments as required.
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for keeping the mechanical design schedule, making every effort to ensure on-time delivery. In addition, the Mechanical Design Engineer is expected to stay abreast of all relevant process and technology developments within the company and in the appropriate industrial sectors.
- Four-year mechanical engineering degree and a minimum of two years of mechanical engineering experience.
- Demonstrated experience with effective customer communications relating to business, technical, and logistic matters.
- Experience with leading multi-disciplinary teams whose members are provided from a matrix-type organization.
- Experience with all phases of developing industrial equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver equipment that meets the customer's expectations and is on time and within budget.
- Interested in working on custom or "one-off" systems.
- Demonstrated automated machine design experience and knowledge of sheet metal design, weldment design, and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Additional demonstrated technical or process experience in at least two of the following areas:
- material handling components such as dial tables, feeder bowls, pick-and-place mechanisms, and robots.
- automated material processing systems such as welding or cutting systems that process individual metallic parts.
- automated web and/or sheet converting systems for materials such as paper, plastic, fabric, and composite films.
- process knowledge relating to processing metallic, composite, or non-metallic materials.
- industrial controls and/or software experience that uses personal computers (PC) or programmable logic controllers (PLC).
- tooling and fixture design for locating individual parts.
- Knowledge of SolidWorks, Word, and Excel.
- Extensive direct and phone communications with customers, component suppliers, company personnel, and contract personnel.
- Travel to customer facilities for sales, installation, and service-related activities.
- Extended hours of sitting and viewing a computer screen.
- Extended hours of standing or working in a shop environment.
All Preco, Inc. employees are empowered to stop production and notify their supervisor/manager if an unsafe act or product quality concern is occurring. Also, each member of the Preco – Somerset team is responsible for identifying continuous improvement opportunities and participating in problem solving teams as necessary.
Send resume to: email@example.com
This position is located in Somerset, WI