Position Title: Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
Reports to: Mechanical Engineering Manager
The Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for designing and developing laser-based systems that meet the customer's expectations and are within budget. The Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer has a leadership role in coordinating teams that design, manufacture, test, install, and service engineered systems.
- Evaluate a customer's application.
- Lead or participate in team selling activities.
- Directs, coordinates and/or performs activities of the design team for total machine design from inception through design, assembly and testing.
- Performs design calculations, researches design alternatives and performs cost analysis to meet or exceed expected cost and performance targets.
- Manages documentation of the design project including layouts, bill of materials, detail drawings, ECR’s, etc.
- Works closely with manufacturing and purchasing to assure the design is manufacturable.
- Works closely with the assembly team to ensure the machine meets customer’s expectations.
- Tests and analyzes prototype components.
- Provides technical assistance during debugging and installation.
- Directs and coordinates the activities of design and drafting help as assigned.
- Special assignments as required.
- Works closely with the Project Manager to communicate the status of the project
- Stay abreast of all relevant process and technology developments within the company and in industrial sectors.
- Four-year mechanical engineering degree and a minimum of six years of design engineering experience.
- Minimum of ten years design engineering experience in lieu of degree. Experience related to machine tool design is essential.
- Demonstrated experience with effective customer communications relating to technical, and logistic matters.
- Experience with all phases of developing industrial equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver equipment that meets the customer's expectations and is within budget.
- Interested in working on custom or "one-off" systems.
- Demonstrated technical or process experience in at least two of the following areas:
- Materials handling components such as dial tables, feeder bowls, pick-and-place mechanisms, and robots.
- Automated material processing systems such as welding or cutting systems that process individual parts.
- Automated web and/or sheet converting systems for materials such as paper, plastic, fabric, and composite films.
- Tooling and fixture design for locating individual parts.
- Machine design experience.
- Knowledge of manufacturing process.
- Sheet Metal Design
- Geometric Tolerancing and Drafting standards
- Experience with SolidWorks, Microsoft (Word and Excel), ect
- Direct and phone communications with customers, component suppliers, company personnel, and contract personnel.
- Travel to customer facilities for design, installation, and service-related activities.
- Extended hours of sitting and viewing a computer screen.
- Extended hours of standing or working in a shop environment.
All Preco, Inc. employees are empowered to stop production and notify their supervisor/manager if an unsafe act or product quality concern is occurring. Also, each member of the Preco – Somerset team is responsible for identifying continuous improvement opportunities and participating in problem solving teams as necessary.
Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is located in Somerset, WI